Welcome to the blog! twcdm.blogspot.com is all about sharing tips, tricks and tutorials all having to do with photography, Photoshop and getting into the stock photo industry.
Enjoy!

Travis Manley


My bio is here.
My Stock Photography portfolio is here.
My personal blog is here.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Photo Studio II: The Saga Continues

If you dont already know I am in the process of converting my garage into a photo studio/office. Here is a link to part #1 of this post http://twcdm.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-photo-studio.html

Here is the latest update.

In phase one we moved everything we could out of the garage and built a shed to store it in along with buying a canopy to park our car under.

Phase two was all about getting that garage door down and framing in the hole.


Here is the garage before we took the door down


I have pulled down all the trim around the door


Halfway done


A quick shot of the door, opener and rails off


The material for framing in the door and the new french doors


The opener and torsion spring


We got studs!


Speaking of studs, lol


My father in-law was a big help in getting this done


All done, just need paint


And were done!


Im really excited to have this part of the conversion done. So much of the work leading up to this point was just to get everything out of the garage and demo work. Its really nice to see the project coming together.

All this work was done by my father in-law and myself. I paid a professional to take down the torsion spring that helps open the door because I read it can be pretty dangerous. It took the guy about five minutes to release the tension in the spring and he said its really not too dangerous if you know what your doing. I figured $45 for the peace of mind of not having to stress out about ripping my hand off while taking it down myself was worth it.

I was surprised how easy it was to take the garage door down, It took my wife and I maybe twenty minutes.

Farming in the door opening, installing the french doors and putting up the siding was a pretty big project. It took most of the day to finish this project. My wife and I painted the day after.

We are going to install some exterior lights on either side of the french doors and eventually maybe a window on the left side of the doors.

This project has really been a great experience so far. It has been a lot of work, but it is very rewarding to sit back at the end of the day and think about how its all going to look when its finished.

If anyone out there is considering converting their garage into a studio, office, bedroom, bonus room, etc I highly recommend it. Remodeling your garage is probably one of the easiest most cost effective way of adding square feet to your home and increasing the value of your house.

I thought it might be interesting to keep a running total on the price of this project so far if anyone is curious.

8x8' Storage Shed = $650
10x20' Canopy for our car = $150
French doors = $400
Material for framing in the garage door and siding = $200
Torsion spring removal = $45

Total so far = $1,445

So the next few stages of this projects will be installing lights and electrical outlets, insulation, drywall, painting, staining the concrete floor, and baseboard and trim.

Keep checking in for updates.


Want to buy my old garage door?
http://olympic.craigslist.org/hsh/1167255341.html


Link to part #1 of this post http://twcdm.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-photo-studio.html
Link to part #3 of this post http://twcdm.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-photo-studio-iii-saga-concluded.html

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys did an awesome job! That's going to be a nice size studio :D You might not even need to bother staining the concrete, I'd say just get a big backdrop with paper roll and the shiny white floor material (so you can get the reflections) you can get at home depot so you can get to snappin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are staining the concrete because its also going to be used as an office space and the concrete in there now looks pretty ugly. I have quite a few different backdrops and plan on getting a big roll of linoleum flooring and flipping it over and using the white side. This will be nice because I can paint it if it starts to get beat up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article, I came across this as I am planning to do it myself and just thinking about ideas and the process. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kevin,

    Good luck with your studio.

    It has been quite the project and cost a lot more than we had planned on spending, but was worth every penny. My studio/office is about 95% done, just a few little finishing touches left.

    I will try to get the final post up soon with some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job so far thats exactly what i need to do

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.