Welcome to the blog! twcdm.blogspot.com is all about sharing tips, tricks and tutorials all having to do with photography, Photoshop and getting into the stock photo industry.
Enjoy!

Travis Manley


My bio is here.
My Stock Photography portfolio is here.
My personal blog is here.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

POTD #17

Photo of the Day

The Breakdown: I wanted to do a photo series of gems and all I had was this big faux diamond. I took the photo and in Photoshop added a hue/saturation layer, checked the colorize box and tweaked it until I got something that looked like and emerald. I added a layer mask and painted out the area I didnt want affected by the green layer.

I was having some trouble with my lights that day so rather than using two off camera flashes like I usually do I used one on my camera pointed at the ceiling so the bounced light would be softer and I used my second flash on a lightstand to my left triggered by a slave adapter. I also used a reflector to fill in the light in the foreground.

Camera:
Olympus E-500
Exposure:
0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture:
f/16
Focal Length:
43 mm
ISO Speed:
100
Exposure Bias:
0 EV

Here are links to some of the equipment I was using on Adorama.com (if the equipment I used is no longer available I have listed either the newer version or a similar substitute).


Olympus E-520 - Replacement for the E-500

Olympus FL-50R - Replacement for the FL-50

Vivitar DF283 - A good alternative to the discontinued Sunpak 383

Adorama Electronic Slave Unit - Attach one of these to your flash and it will fire when it detects another flash

Smith Victor RS8, 8' Raven Lightstand - Very sturdy and just the right height

Photoflex Shoe Mount Multiclamp with Umbrella Holder - Use one of these to attach your flash to a lightstand and you can also use an umbrella with it

Adorama 40" White Interior Umbrella with Removeable Black Cover - This is really a great deal. You can use this to shoot through or to bounce. The bigger the better.

Westcott Photo Basics 304 5-in-1 Reflector Kit - Reflectors are great substitutes for lights if you are on a budget or just need to bounce some light

Sunpak 6601TM Tri-Monopod - This one is pretty close to what I was using at the time. Dont underestimate the importance of a tripod, even if you are using a cheap one it is the only way to guarantee tack sharp photos every time.

Olympus RM-1, Wireless Remote Control - A good alternative to waiting for your camera timer if you dont want to worry about shaking your camera when you are taking a photo.

All my photos are shot in raw and edited in Photoshop.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

2 comments:

  1. f/16?! DAMN! Nice shot - did you make them all different colors? Great idea. For stock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. f/16? I was waiting for that. It was a combination of trying to stop down my lens to get it really sharp and not really knowing what I was doing. f8-11 would have been plenty though.

    I did a bunch of different versions, ruby, sapphire, etc. Here they are

    http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?lang=en&search_cat=&searchterm=gem&search_group=all&anyorall=all&searchtermx=&color=&orient=all&photographer_name=travis+manley&sort_method=popular&rows_per_page=10&thumb_size=small&safesearch=0&safesearch_toggle=on

    not sure if that will work or not.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.