Welcome to the blog! twcdm.blogspot.com is all about sharing tips, tricks and tutorials all having to do with photography, Photoshop and getting into the stock photo industry.
Enjoy!

Travis Manley


My bio is here.
My Stock Photography portfolio is here.
My personal blog is here.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

POTD #15

Photo of the Day

I am really happy with how this one turned out. This is exactly the look I was going for. I wanted to show in the photo what I saw standing there under this tree with the sun filtering in through the leaves and then take it a little further.

The breakdown: This was kind of a tricky shot to get, I took a few different versions playing with my cameras different metering modes ans selecting different parts of the images to expose from.

The problem with an image like this where you have hard sun and shadow is to get the whole image to be "properly exposed" without too much overexposed and underexposed areas. If I set my camera to expose for the bright leaves everything else would be really dark, if I set it to expose for the shadow area everything else would be really bright.

One option would have been to take multiple shots at different exposures and blend them together, but because the leaves were moving the images wouldnt match up and there would be some "ghosting" or "artifacts." (Google HDR if you are unfamiliar)

I chose to take a single exposure that was right in the middle and use Photoshop to lighten the dark areas and tone down the bright. I actually prefer this method over HDR when shooting nature photos because HDR can tend to make and image look flat and unnatural. I also tweaked the color to make it feel more warm and to give it that glowing loook.



Camera:
Canon EOS 5D
Exposure:
0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture:
f/5.6
Focal Length:
28 mm
ISO Speed:
100
Exposure Bias:
-1 EV

All my photos are shot in raw and edited in Photoshop.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.