Welcome to the blog! twcdm.blogspot.com is all about sharing tips, tricks and tutorials all having to do with photography, Photoshop and getting into the stock photo industry.
Enjoy!

Travis Manley


My bio is here.
My Stock Photography portfolio is here.
My personal blog is here.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

POTD #11


Photo of the Day

This is a shot of my son River taken when he turned five months. My wife and I wanted some bright and fun photos of him and wanted to take advantage of him being able to sit up on his own. There is only so much you can do with a kid that can only lay on his back or stomach.

The shoot went great. We would take some photos then go over them while River napped. When he woke up Carra put him in a different outfit and we would take some more photos until he needed another nap. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The breakdown: I shot this on a blue backdrop with two off-camera flashes (a Sunpak 383 and an Olympus FL-50) on light stands with umbrellas. For more info on off camera lighting check out strobist.blogspot.com it will change the way you look at lighting.

I ran a sync cable from my camera to the FL-50 and used two Adorama slave adapters one to the FL-50 because it doesnt have a port to plug the sync cable into and the Adorama adapter lets me do that, the other on the Sunpak 383 so it would act as a slave and fire when the FL-50 did.

I also tried (unsuccessfully) using a 250watt Smith & Victor lamp to brighten up the background a little. It just didnt work the way I was hoping because the light from the lamp was really overpowered by the flashes and it was frustrating because I didnt have any way of changing the power from the lamp without putting in a more powerful bulb.

The lighting from this lamp was also ugly and yellow so I coulnt let it touch the model at all or else the color woulldnt jive with the light from my flashes.


Camera:
Canon EOS 5D
Exposure:
0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture:
f/7.1
Focal Length:
67 mm
ISO Speed:
100
Exposure Bias:
0 EV

All my photos are shot in raw and edited in Photoshop.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.