Welcome to the blog! twcdm.blogspot.com is all about sharing tips, tricks and tutorials all having to do with photography, Photoshop and getting into the stock photo industry.
Enjoy!

Travis Manley


My bio is here.
My Stock Photography portfolio is here.
My personal blog is here.

Friday, April 10, 2009

POTD #10

Photo of the Day


This is a shot of my wife and I when she was about eight months pregnant. Trying to capture those last days when it was just the two of us and no babies yet. Another example of those last shots of the shoot where everyone is getting tired and goofy that end up turning into one of my favorites.

The breakdown:
I shot this on a black backdrop with two off-camera flashes (a Sunpak 383 and an Olympus FL-50) on light stands with umbrellas. For more info on off camera lighting check out strobist.blogspot.com it will change the way you look at lighting.

I ran a sync cable from my camera to the FL-50 and used two Adorama slave adapters one to the FL-50 because it doesnt have a port to plug the sync cable into and the Adorama adapter lets me do that, the other on the Sunpak 383 so it would act as a slave and fire when the FL-50 did.

After shooting the image I cut out the background in Photoshop.

I took this shot with the Canon 5d with the 24-105mm lens at 35mm, f8, 1/60 sec, ISO 100.


* Just a few quick notes here on the lighting and camera settings.

When shooting a photo that you plan to isolate later it is best to have a light or two pointed at your backdrop. The idea is to overexpose it a stop or two more than your subject, that way all you have to do is check the image in Photoshop and clean up any gray spots.

I didnt use any lights on the backdrop because I only had the two flashes at the time.

As for the camera settings. I recommend shooting at around f9-f11 for isolated photos to make sure you have clean edges and the faster the shutterspeed the better to make sure everything is nice and sharp.

The general rule of thumb on focal length for portraits is 70mm or greater for one person, 50mm or greater for groups. You can shoot wider if you want to distort your image and be creative.

All my photos are shot in raw and edited in Photoshop.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.